Job Title: Admission Officer
Location: The Africa Institute, Global Studies University, Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
Expected Starting Date: For immediate hire
Job Status: Full time
Application Deadline: The position is open until filled
About The Africa Institute, Global Studies University
The Africa Institute is a newly-established, research-focused graduate studies institute and think tank. The Africa Institute is established as a cultural and academic unique addition to the study of Africa and its diaspora, in addition to its unique emphasis on Afro-Arab historical relations and linkages. The Africa Institute will contribute to advancing knowledge production about Africa and its people, their social, cultural and intellectual heritage and contributions to human civilization at large. This will be accomplished through research, teaching, and contribution to the development of related academic disciplines in the humanities and social sciences. The Institute is working to develop degree programs at the Masters and Ph.D. levels, in relation to Africa and the emerging studies of the global African diaspora, in addition to special diploma in African languages. Read more.
About the Position
Ensures that the agreed enrolment targets are met by applying the admissions criteria to select qualified students from a diverse pool of applications. Evaluate and assess applicant files and work with the faculty-student admission committee, which will be headed by the Directors of Graduate Studies in both the Humanities and Social Sciences departments. The Admission Officer’s primary duties will include analyzing student applications, processing their paperwork and tuition, if accepted, and examining, altering, or explaining admission processes.
- Provide students with information about the admission process
- Review student applications and degree certifications, publications, and CV
- Research, review, and analyze admissions criteria from national and international institutions.
- Process paperwork for accepted students
- Update and maintain a database of students’ information
- Refer students to program directors/coordinators or the financial department for specific information
- Guide students through the application and acceptance process
- Recommend students who do not meet established prerequisites to Faculty Admissions
- Reviewing Committees and providing sufficient evidence of credentials to warrant consideration for acceptance
- Inform prospective students and applicants of the application process, procedures, academic and program requirements, program suitability, and potential eligibility for admission
- Participate in all recruitment events, open houses, school fairs, information sessions, exhibitions, school visits, and off-campus events.
- Meet with applicants to determine their academic interests and requests including asking questions about their previous educational background, academic strengths, and long-term goals
- Deal with applicants who are not qualified for admission and explain the application process and offer viable alternatives without discouraging the applicant from attending the institute
- Write responses to prospective students regarding their applications, which consist of offer letters to successful applicants and rejection letters to individuals who do not meet admissions requirements
- Gather and compile the information required to maintain manuals and procedure documents
- Follow up with students for any inquiries through direct meetings, live chat, phone calls, and emails
- Advise students about the programs offered, admission procedure, eligibility, and costs involved
- Assist applicants with the completion of electronic and hard copy application forms. Update, verify, process, and input new student and applicant information as required
- Assist in recruiting new students by overseeing promotional events and campus tours
- Examine the current admission process and recommend changes when necessary
- Serve as an effective liaison between departments, educational institutions, alumni, and external contacts
- Assist with recruitment activities, student interviews, admission publications, and information sessions
- Provide assistance to the students to complete the enrolment forms
Qualities, Skills and Values
- Strong organizational skills, coupled with the ability to take initiative and work with limited supervision
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including presentation skills, and demonstrated competency in interacting with people at all levels of the organization
- The ability to work effectively as part of a team in a multicultural environment, to handle pressure with a positive attitude, and to meet deadlines in a demanding work environment
- Ability to keep up to date on relevant policies and procedures in line with the duties identified in the job description
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications
- The ability to maintain a high level of professionalism and confidentiality
- Excellent communication skills in English are required. Proficiency in Arabic is an asset
- Bachelor’s degree and preferably Master’s degree in a relevant field
Required Work Experience
- Requires a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in student records preferably, within a higher education institution.
- Experience in academic affairs and student admission in a credited institution or university
- Strong interpersonal skills and focus on customer service
- Experience working with websites and online systems
- Ability to handle a variety of tasks simultaneously, under deadline pressures
- Planning and coordination skills
If you are interested, kindly send an email with your CV and a Cover Letter to the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention the position you are applying for in the subject line.
*Salary and further compensation commensurate with degree and experience. Benefits package includes health insurance, housing, and transportation, children school fees allowances subject to coordination of benefits.
*The Africa Institute is committed to fair employment practices and encourages women and men of all national, ethnic and religious backgrounds to apply and join our expanding team. UAE nationals are encouraged to apply.
*We anticipate a high number of applications and will do our best to respond to any queries. Please do note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted in the first instance.