Job Title: Administrative Coordinator for Academic Affairs
Location: The Africa Institute, Global Studies University, Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
Expected Starting Date: For immediate hire
Job Status: Full time
Application Deadline: The position is open until filled
About The Africa Institute, Global Studies University
The Africa Institute is a newly-established, research-focused graduate studies institute and think tank. The Africa Institute is established as a cultural and academic unique addition to the study of Africa and its diaspora, in addition to its unique emphasis on Afro-Arab historical relations and linkages. The Africa Institute will contribute to advancing knowledge production about Africa and its people, their social, cultural and intellectual heritage and contributions to human civilization at large. This will be accomplished through research, teaching, and contribution to the development of related academic disciplines in the humanities and social sciences. The Institute is working to develop degree programs at the Masters and Ph.D. levels, in relation to Africa and the emerging studies of the global African diaspora, in addition to special diploma in African languages. Read more.
- Act as a first point of contact for students, faculty, and fellows. When requested, should provide the adequate support.
- Interacts effectively and professionally with all students, faculty and fellows’ inquiries and requests.
- Assist in providing the necessary information about the institute programs and services, in addition to supporting the faculty and fellows with policies and procedures.
- Manages fellow’s annual tenancy contracts and is responsible for the furnishing and maintenance of their apartments.
- Should be able to handle correspondence, such as letters, reports, memos
- Carries out all duties with a high degree of accuracy, attention and confidentiality.
- Establishes, maintains and updates filing system and maintains a professional relationship with faculty, and fellows, and must maintain confidentiality
- Conducts orientation for new faculty and fellows
- Handles internal and external mail
- Handles logistics of planned events, such as travel, accommodation, catering, bookings
- Assists in the preparation of lectures, seminars, and events
- Coordinates and assists with HR to ensure the completion of the residency process
- On occasion, the administrative coordinator will be required to provide support for the functions of the broader institute and Academic Affairs division. The position may require evening and weekend commitments
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
Required Work Experience
- 3-5 years of experience in an administrative position, preferably in higher education or an international organization/company
- Experience in events coordination
- Experience in working in a diverse environment
- Knowledge of national culture and traditions is highly desired
- Knowledge of university programs and operations, including Administrative and Academic Affairs, is preferred
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Self-starter and initiative-taking
- Adequate communication and problem-solving skills
- English proficiency is required
- Proficiency in Arabic language is an asset
If you are interested, kindly send an email with your CV and a Cover Letter to the following email: email@example.com. Please mention the position you are applying for in the subject line.
*Salary and further compensation commensurate with degree and experience. Benefits package includes health insurance, housing, and transportation, children school fees allowances subject to coordination of benefits.
*The Africa Institute is committed to fair employment practices and encourages women and men of all national, ethnic and religious backgrounds to apply and join our expanding team. UAE nationals are encouraged to apply.
*We anticipate a high number of applications and will do our best to respond to any queries. Please do note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted in the first instance.