Job Title: Registrar Officer
Location: The Africa Institute, Global Studies University, Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
Expected Starting Date: For immediate hire
Job Status: Full time
Application Deadline: The position is open until filled
About The Africa Institute, Global Studies University
The Africa Institute is a newly-established, research-focused graduate studies institute and think tank. The Africa Institute is established as a cultural and academic unique addition to the study of Africa and its diaspora, in addition to its unique emphasis on Afro-Arab historical relations and linkages. The Africa Institute will contribute to advancing knowledge production about Africa and its people, their social, cultural and intellectual heritage and contributions to human civilization at large. This will be accomplished through research, teaching, and contribution to the development of related academic disciplines in the humanities and social sciences. The Institute is working to develop degree programs at the Masters and Ph.D. levels, in relation to Africa and the emerging studies of the global African diaspora, in addition to special diploma in African languages. Read more.
About the Position
The Registrar Officer is responsible for duties related to maintaining accurate student records and for processing documents related to admissions, registration, and final grades. The incumbent also ensures compliance with graduation eligibility requirements across all academic programs.
- Review, verify, and process student applications and related documentation; to review, compile, and update information on student credentials required for the institute
- Welcomes and greets visitors in person or on the phone; directs visitors to appropriate departments or sites; attracts potential students by answering inquiries regarding academic programs and resources; provides advice to students’ admissions and/or records and registration process and eligibility
- Researches and analyzes information as necessary and responds to applicant and/or student concerns regarding admissions and/or transfer credit status, or records and registration matters
- Maintains departmental calendars for student advisement appointments; may coordinate between the student and Admission Officer’s availability and time, and/or walk-ins
- Maintains and handles all aspects of academic records
- Maintains student record databases and manual files; prepares statistical reports as appropriate
- Disseminates pertinent information, in accordance with applicable laws, regulations, and institute policies
- May lead or guide the work of student employees, and provide training as required
- Compiles, reviews, and processes applications; computes application data by utilizing software and prescribed departmental and institute policies; resolves data discrepancies; provides data information by answering questions and requests; maintains non-degree records by filing applications, supporting documents and credentials
- May analyze non-degree applications to determine eligibility and residency requirements
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned
Qualities, Skills and Values
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, with a preference for proficiency in Arabic
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications
- The ability to maintain a high level of professionalism and confidentiality
- Strong organizational skills, coupled with the ability to take initiative and work with limited supervision, and detail-oriented
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including presentation skills
- demonstrated competency to interact with people at all levels of the organization
- The ability to work effectively as part of a team in a multicultural environment, to handle pressure with a positive attitude, and to meet deadlines in a demanding work environment
- A demonstrated willingness to engage in professional development activities to develop and improve new and current skills and to adapt to the evolving needs of the organization
Education, Qualifications, and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and preferably master’s degree in a relevant field
- Requires a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience in student records preferably, within a higher education institution.
- Previous experience in scheduling and registration
If you are interested, kindly send an email with your CV and a Cover Letter to the following email: email@example.com. Please mention the position you are applying for in the subject line.
*Salary and further compensation commensurate with degree and experience. Benefits package includes health insurance, housing, and transportation, children school fees allowances subject to coordination of benefits.
*The Africa Institute is committed to fair employment practices and encourages women and men of all national, ethnic and religious backgrounds to apply and join our expanding team. UAE nationals are encouraged to apply.
*We anticipate a high number of applications and will do our best to respond to any queries. Please do note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted in the first instance.